Grey Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to 26 collisions over a 29-hour period between October 31, and November 1, 2023.
Between October 31, 6:33 a.m. and October 31, 2023, at 9:44 p.m., the Grey Bruce OPP responded to 13 motor vehicle collisions. Four of the collisions were versus a deer and four of the collisions were road/weather-related.
Between November 1, 5:26 a.m. and 11:10 a.m., the Grey Bruce OPP responded to 13 more motor vehicle collisions. One of the collisions was versus a deer and six of the collisions were road/weather-related.
Many of the other collisions were between two vehicles and drivers not driving according to road conditions which may have been a factor.
The OPP want to provide the public with some winter driving tips:
- Have winter tires installed on your vehicle. Winter tires can improve traction in snow and icy conditions.
- Plan ahead and check the weather. Use Ontario 511 (511on.ca) to check road conditions.
- Properly clean snow and ice from your windows, lights, mirrors, and roof. This will assist with visibility and help avoid having ice and debris falling off your vehicle.
- Drive according to the conditions. Many collisions on our roadways occur because drivers are travelling too fast for the road conditions.
- Steer gently on curves and in slippery conditions. Hard braking, quick acceleration, and sudden gear changes can cause you to skid.
- Give other vehicles room to stop. Leave adequate room between you and other vehicles.
- Have an emergency kit in your vehicle that includes warm clothing, a shovel, booster cables, high energy food, flashlight, matches and a candle.
If you see snow, go slow.