On December 1, 2020 the Grey Bruce area received a significant amount of snowfall and gave motorists the first real winter storm of the season to deal with. Members of the Grey Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to nine motor vehicle collisions (over a 24 hour period) and assisted with several more stranded motorists and stuck vehicles.
Grey Bruce OPP and the Ministry of Transportation remind motorists that now is the time to prepare for winter driving conditions.
- Consider installing four winter snow tires (if you haven’t already);
- Download the free Ontario 511 mobile App, to get access to real-time highway conditions and traffic information;
- Plan on extra time for winter travel;
- Clean snow and ice off of your vehicle;
Safe Winter Driving Tips:
- Adapt your driving to the road and weather conditions;
- Reduce your speed and avoid sudden maneuvers to stay in control at all times:
- Avoid distractions and be alert for changing road conditions;
- Leave more space between you and other vehicles so you have time to react and stop quickly;
- Proceed with caution where large snowbanks could reduce your line of sight;
Stay alert, Stay safe!