Police are urging holiday shoppers to take a few easy precautions to protect themselves and keep their hard-earned purchases from ending up under a thief’s tree. Here’s a handy list of tips to ensure your shopping trip is a merry one:
- Keep wallets and purses safely always secured on your person.
- Don’t carry large amounts of currency. Instead, use debit and credit cards.
- Protect and shield your Personal Information Number at point-of-sale terminals.
- Get cash from recognized banking machines instead of stand-alone Automated Teller Machines (ATM). Thieves use card-skimming devices to target stand-alone units.
- Carrying large amounts of gifts make you a target. Take them to your car and put them in a trunk, or in the case of sport utility vehicles or pick-up trucks, place them on the floor and cover them with a blanket.
Theft-proofing starts in the parking lot, so remember to take a few smart steps before braving the crowds at local stores.
- Always make sure your vehicle is locked. An unlocked vehicle door or an open window is an invitation to thieves seeking a crime of opportunity.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Roll up the vehicle’s windows.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
- Lock your doors and pocket your keys.
Following these easy shopping tips will go a long way towards making your holiday season safe and fun for everyone on your list.