Since May 1, 2021, the Grey Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have responded to over 35 marine related calls in Grey Bruce County.
The Grey Bruce OPP urge boaters to play it safe on the water, and obey all marine related laws. These include but are not limited to:
- Wearing a Canadian-approved life-jacket or personal floatation device (PFD)
- Checking the weather conditions/forecast (paddlers should always stick close to shore)
- Boat/paddle sober and drug-free
- Tell people where you are going
- Be cold water aware
- Be mindful of your vessel’s capabilities when deciding where to go boating
- Take a boating course to ensure you are properly licenced, and up to date with the latest marine related knowledge.
The Grey Bruce OPP and our community safety partners remain committed to saving lives on Ontario roads, waterways and trails. Those heading out on the water can expect routine contact with officers checking for marine related compliance. Stay safe, and have a great summer.