During the pandemic, staying active and keeping fit has been more important than ever. We are fortunate to live in an area with many activities and resources for enjoying the outdoors and exercising.
Thirty minutes of exercise a day is an important way to boost your physical and mental health. Living near Georgian Bay and its tributaries offers fun water sports, scenic walks, and beautiful views. Even though August is drawing to a close, there are many ways to enjoy the water and stay active.
1. For those who like or want to try paddling sports, there are many rental or lesson opportunities including:
- Marissa offers paddleboard and kayak lessons and tours. www.peaktoshoreadventures.com
- Aquaphylic offers kayak and paddleboard rentals until the end of October and can be found at the east side of the Meaford Harbour. www.aquaphylic.com 519-375-7319
- Free Spirit Tours offer kayak, canoe, and paddleboard rentals and lessons. https://freespirittours.ca/ 519-599-2268
2. For those who want to explore the local beaches, you can enjoy:
- Memorial Park (residents can get a free parking sticker at the municipal office)
- David Johnston Park
- Fred Raper Park
- Hibou Conservation Area
- Leith Beach
- St. Vincent Park (Lakeshore Avenue North)
3. For those interested in fishing:
- Fishing poles are available to borrow from the Meaford Library.
- U Catch’em Charters operates two boats into November for those wanting to get out on the lake to fish, www.ucatchemcharters.com 519-538-5333.
4. For those who want to swim in the fall and winter, the Owen Sound YMCA offers pool time and lessons. www.ymcaowensound.on.ca 519-371-9222.
5. For next summer, remember to check out:
- Meaford Blue Dolphin for swimming lessons, swim camps, and lane swimming
- Sailing lessons in our Meaford Harbour http://www.sailgeorgianbay.ca/
Get outside and stay safe… try something new and enjoy one of these activities with a friend.