With Canada Day approaching, the Municipality of Meaford is reminding those that are looking to set off family fireworks as part of their celebrations to stay safe, celebrate responsibly and follow the rules.
In our municipality, family/consumer fireworks can only be discharged on private property. Fireworks must be placed a distance of 8 meters (18.4 feet) away from all structures and vehicles. You can use fireworks in celebration of Canada Day from: June 28, 2023 until July 4, 2023 between dusk and 11:00 p.m.
Firework users must be over the age of 18. Fireworks are not permitted on any Municipal land, boulevard and/or roadway (which includes all parks, open spaces and beaches). For more information, please review By-law 46-2014 to Regulate Firearms, Fireworks and the Prohibition of Firecrackers.
Fireworks are not permitted if there is a fire ban in effect. To check the fire risk rating, please visit Meaford.burnpermits.com or call toll-free 1-855-693-0080.
Take the following safety precautions to avoid an injury and minimize any potential fire hazard or property damage:
• Purchase family fireworks from a reliable source.
• Read the instructions carefully.
• Light fireworks one at a time at arm’s length, on a hard, flat and level surface.
• Supervise children carefully.
• Ensure spectators are at a safe distance.
• Have a bucket of sand, water supply, or working fire extinguisher on hand.
• Never hold a lit firework or try to reignite a “dud” or defective firework.
Fireworks can be distressing to pets, so keep animals safely indoors when using fireworks. Remember to be respectful of your neighbours and have a safe Canada Day.